Tuesday, July 15, 2014

March Madness

Have you ever been headed down a dead end road and people warn you, but you keep going? Have you gotten to the end of the road and tried to turn around, only to find out you don't have enough room to turn around? Have you ever gotten stuck in the mud with your wheels spinning, only to find out that your wheels are digging deeper in the mud?
"...my wife asked if I knew this was a dead end?"

Well regardless of what your answers to these questions are, I had that experience literally today. I was on a mission to find the infamous "tent city" located underneath the Pete Hollis Bridge. I had seen it on the map, so I knew exactly where I was going, but had no idea what I was getting into. When I started down Pickney St. my wife asked if I knew this was a dead end and I replied yes. She didn't know that I knew where I was going, but I didn't know what I was getting into. When we reached the dead end, I got out and looked around only to see a bunch of old trash, clothes, and bottles. It was literally a dump. This was the place where people dumped stuff they did not want. When I realized I had gone too far, I decided to turn around. This is when the Madness started.

When the front wheels of my front wheel drive car left the pavement, they sank into the mud. And when the wheels began to spin, I knew I was in trouble. I made a big mistake though. I kept trying to get out, but the wheels were taking the dirt and pulling it out as the weight of the engine in the front cause the car to sink down deeper. As my wife looked out the window she immediately saw a man dressed in army fatigues head to toe. She was nervous and reaching for her phone while I was excited and headed towards him to greet him. He told me his name was "Hillbilly" and he was from Fort Worth, TX. I asked him if he could help and he suggested pushing while I put it in reverse, but that didn't work. I asked if he knew where I could find some wood to put under the tires and he took me to a nearby woodpile.

When we arrived at the pile of wood at the last turn in the road, I asked if it would be okay, and he replied that they would just burn it if we don't use it. We found 2 pieces that were perfect for the job and we used the jack to raise the front wheels out of the dirt and put the wood beneath the tires. I prayed with hillbilly for favor from God, because he was initially frustrated and started mentioning calling a toe truck.
"he wanted money to buy papers"
I told him I was hard-headed and did not give up easily. After we prayed, the car was released from the mud and we praised God. He wanted some money to buy rolling papers with, but I told him I didn't have any cash. He offered to go with me to the ATM, but I offered to take him to breakfast.

We enjoyed breakfast and he told us his story how he comes to the same spot and drinks until his mind slows down enough for him to cope with his past. "Hillbilly" has nightmares and he cannot deal with the images on his own. Several of his family members were killed in front of his very eyes. He almost died 3 times and is going blind in both eyes. "Hillbilly" is a retired roofer who moved from East Texas to Greenville chasing a hoax from an online dating lead. The relationship lasted less than 2 days and he has been in the tent city now for 2 years. The reason he gave for staying in Greenville is the "hospitality." He says the people are so much nicer than those back home in East Texas. Wow!

I needed to use the restroom at Hardees, but the door was locked. The sign said to see the manager to get the code. I got the code and entered it, but I still couldn't get in. A drunk walked up to me and said you have to lift it up. Wow what a fitting end to a strange story. Either the handle was installed wrong or Hardees wants to keep people out of the restrooms by reversing the mechanism.

Lessons Learned:
1) Just Because You Know Where You're Going, Doesn't Mean You Can Handle Everything When You Get There
2) When You Get To A Dead End, It May Not Be As Easy To Turn Around As You May Think
3) If Your Wheels Are Not On Solid Ground You Will Not Get Too Far, Especially in the Rain
4) The Best Thing To Do When Your Stuck Is To Stop Trying, Your Efforts Make It Worse
5) Your Help May Not Come Packaged The Way You Would Expect It To, So Pay Attention
6) Everything You Need For Your Deliverance Is Within Your Reach
7) Don't Cut Corners, Make Sure You Get Both Wheels Off the Ground First and Invite God in
8) If a Drunk Has to Tell You How to Get In a Place, Your Probably Doing Something Wrong

No comments:

Post a Comment